Increasing your home’s value may seem like it could be a daunting and expensive task, but it doesn’t have to be. Did you know you can add major home improvements to your home for nearly any budget? Most people are under the impression that adding value to one’s home means hiring contractors and forking out boatloads of money to update the space. However, this is not the case.
There are plenty of ways in which you can update your home, all while being cost-efficient. Have a $100 budget? No problem. Check out our list of the top 10 DIY updates that will add value to your home FAST below.
10 DIY Updates and Tips for Added Home Value
- Front yard makeover. Taking the time to update and create low-maintenance landscaping saves you money now AND provides added value when you decide to sell. Clean up your lawn and “wow” potential buyers with a positive first impression.
- Brighten up your space. Paint, paint, paint. A fresh coat of paint on walls can do wonders and is still considered a potent upgrade. New paint in every room can make your entire house feel fresh, clean and new, which equates to added value when potential buyers are walking through your home.
- Remove or cover paneling on walls or popcorn ceilings. Remove popcorn ceilings for added home value and also remove or cover up that wood paneling! If you don’t want to take the time to remove and update wood paneling, simply paint over it with a nice, rich color that will add warmth to your home. The paneling can even add more dimension to your walls, giving it a unique space.
- Visually increase the square footage of your home. If you can’t add onto your home to increase the actual square footage, make your home feel as if it is larger visually by how you arrange your furniture, decorate, etc. Try these 10 HGTV tips to make your smaller space feel bigger –on a budget!
- Give your kitchen appliances a facelift. The kitchen is one of the first spaces potential homebuyers look at and are concerned with. If your appliances don’t match, order new doors or face panels for them. Declutter your kitchen counters, paint your cabinets a fresh coat of white or bright grey (this is an easy way to update your kitchen on a budget), or even consider painting your countertops DIY style. All are easy and inexpensive upgrades that can give your space a complete makeover.
- Buff up and beautify the bathrooms. Aside from the kitchen, home buyers are also most intrigued by your home’s bathroom, believe it or not. Try updating that outdated kitchen sink, re-grouting the tile in the bathtub, painting the countertops (just like in the kitchen) or putting down new, inexpensive flooring yourself.
- Maintain proper care and maintenance. This includes adding insulation, installing storm doors and windows, keeping up with the flower beds and repairing leaks and other wear-and-tear to the house before it gets out of control.
- Begin with the front door. Add proper lighting, keep trim paint fresh and bright, and improve the landscaping around the front step to give a more inviting and “welcoming” feel to your new guests!
- Adding energy-efficient home updates. Consider minimal energy-efficient home updates, such as changing out the light bulbs to your home. This can equate to long-time savings for both yourself and future buyers, and can be a good selling point.
- Keep it simple. Don’t clutter the space. Go through old belongings and get rid of the things you don’t need or use. Clear off the countertops and have a garage sale (more money in your pocket) to provide a new home to your unused items. Clearing out your home will also help it to feel fresh, clean and overall larger in space.
Looking to improve on a specific budget, but aren’t sure how our tips listed above will fit? Check out this quick Home Updates guide from DIY Network that lists out affordable home improvement ideas for specific budgets.
For more information on how Lakeshore REALTORS can help you increase the value to your home before a sale, give us a call (419) 586-6427 or contact us today. We would love to hear from you.